[I-coordination] on "identifying principles"

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 19:27:54 CET 2013

here I attach some work that can serve as a background regarding the piece
of debate around principles (see Bill and Nick below)
we classified everything out there we could find from every stakeholder
they are in different docs to make it easier to print

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton at ccianet.org>wrote:

*To Bill’s point in the first instance it would be useful to identify those
> principles that exist to date and their source and scope. Perhaps 1net
> could host a wiki environ*ment or the like where those with knowledge of
> one or more could get a list together?
>
> On 17 Dec 2013, at 18:34, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi George
>
> On Dec 17, 2013, at 6:24 PM, George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Bill,
>
> You say: "Do we really have nothing more important to be doing here at
> this point than redefining the wheel as just a round thingy?  I thought
> this list was supposed to be for coordination of multistakeholder dialogue
> on Sao Paulo and beyond, but it seems to alternate between being a troll
> paradise and the site of a lot of meandering debates on points that are
> generally being addressed more systematically elsewhere.  Or am I alone in
> this perception?"
>
> I agree that we need to address points systematically.  Can you provide a
> list of systematic points (dare we call them issues?) that it would, in
> your view, be useful to discuss?
>

> Well, why not start with the question of principles?  The initiators of
> the SP meeting have been saying from the outset they’d like to have a sort
> of multistakeholder declaration of principles.  Presumably it’d be helpful
> if 1net participants were to provide some input on this, and presumably
> we’d like it to be more than just nice fluffy words.  Why not discuss the
> range of options to make this a useful exercise, and see where there’s
> cross-stakeholder consensus and where there’s not?  It’s something concrete
> that needs to be done, and they want input by 1 March.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bill

*Carolina Rossini*
*Project Director, Latin America Resource Center*
Open Technology Institute
*New America Foundation*
//
http://carolinarossini.net/