Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Dec 18 17:09:34 CET 2013

>It would also reopen the WSIS texts, which to my mind would be an incredibly
>bad idea. In the present environment, many things we have would be degraded.

Incorrect on two counts, I believe.
First, the Brazil meeting cannot "reopen" a WSIS text, and no one is proposing that it do so. We are proposing to come up with a new consensus statement that explicitly rejects the old text.
Second, the present environment is better than the environment in 2003 with respect to support for nonstate actor policy making. Further, it's hard to see how things could get worse than the current WSIS texts.