[I-coordination] The self correcting nature of the American system? Judge rules against NSA tapping program. Snowden vindicated?

Bob Bruen korg at coldrain.net
Wed Dec 18 14:52:24 CET 2013

Hi Michele,

Not sure what you find innaccurate about what I said. Fadi has even made
public statements about ICANN serving the Registrars. We both know that
whois accuracy has been a serious issue for years.

The bulk whois complaints was terminated by ICANN after it ran for years.
I asked about it in Buenos Aires and was told it is now running. When I
checked, it was running but limited to 100 complaints per week, when it
should be running at 50,000/day each for a number of entities filing them.

Do you remember a couple of years ago when I did a simple study by asking
ever registrar for their procedures for requesting bulk whois data? Only a
couple actually knew what I was talking about. It is in the RAA. They all
should have known and had procedures in place. I actually only got one
positve response and the data. I even got threats from several registrars
just for asking and outright refusals by others.

So, no, the registrars do not follow the RAA as they should, mainly
because ICANN does not enforce it through their Compliance group. People
within Compliance get fired when they support real compliance, and yes, I
have names.

The evidence of ICANN taking action against Registrars for reasons other
than non-payment to ICANN is quite limited. Anyone can go look. Moreover,
there are lots of cases now where action should be taken and has not been.

As far as your clients are concerned I have no knowledge of any of them
being spammers or sources of malware, but there are registrars that have
such clients, some in large numbers. Those are the ones I refer to.

Much of the criminal use of domains could be mitigated through procedures,
such as verification of data at registration, and by enforcement of
existing RAA rules, but they have been resisted by the Registrars.

If anyone is actually offended by what I said, then the problems should be
cleaned up, so I won't say it anymore.

                 --bob