Peter H. Hellmonds peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu
Wed Dec 18 13:41:16 CET 2013

Milton,

You are interpreting my assumptions wrongly. They are more clearly stated farther down in my message from which you only cite question block A):

"C) Is it necessary to redefine these roles in order to get to a better understanding of how we can cooperate better? Or is it not perhaps more useful to recognize that people and institutions wear many hats, play different roles simultaneously?"

What I'm saying is that individuals working in the IG space wear different hats and all that talk about defining stakeholder groups will run into the problems we currently face with the 10 year old Geneva Declaration definitions. Let's move on.

Best

Peter H. Hellmonds
<peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu>
+49 (160) 360-2852

On 18.12.2013, at 05:07, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>A) If we were to revisit and revise the Geneva Declaration (since the roles and responsibilities >section was introduced here, and was only reiterated on the WGIG and in the Tunis Agenda), >which roles and responsibilities are incorrectly or insufficiently described and how could they be >corrected to be brought in line with current factual roles and responsibilities? Do you have >specific language you could contribute?

Peter,
You are assuming that stakeholder groups have different roles. They don’t. In an open, bottom-up policy development process, people participate as individuals and are not pushed into arbitrary pigeonholes. So the problem is not that the “roles and responsibilities are incorrectly or insufficiently described,” it is that the whole business of assigning different groups different roles is wrong-headed. It was just a way for governments to assert their pre-eminence and to attempt to subvert the native Internet regime’s reliance on non-state actors for policy development.

“Think outside the role”