William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Dec 18 10:33:09 CET 2013

On Dec 18, 2013, at 12:22 AM, Peter H. Hellmonds <peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu> wrote:

> The "respective roles" are all enumerated in the Geneva Declaration of Principles.

Yes, in 2003, when governments were still locking or throwing us out of rooms.  They then insisted that this had to be incorporated into the IG definition if they were going to accept it.  It was a statist ideological misrepresentation then and it’s even more out of touch with reality now.  Milton is right that it’d be good to revise it, but one suspects there’d be real resistance from G77 and China and it’d take a concerted effort with strong support from other governments (many of whom I suspect are actually sort of comfortable with it, even if they don’t openly admit that to stakeholders).  The Brazil meeting wouldn’t have the standing to change it, so presumably it’d have to be initiated at the WSIS + 10 ‘event', but we could lay the foundation in advance….

Such an effort could require more trust and cooperation between stakeholders than we’ve been able to muster to date; are we collectively capable of agreeing and advancing a positive agenda, rather than just fetishizing differences and reacting separately to bad ideas from governments?

BTW, speaking of the WSIS + 10 ‘event’, have people been following the UN 2nd committee, where G77’s pushing for a full-scale WSIS review summit, and an ‘open' intergovernmental process has been set up to sort this out?  Sam Dickinson has the scoop at http://linguasynaptica.com/tag/second-committee/

Bill