Dr. Ben Fuller ben at fuller.na
Wed Dec 18 08:54:20 CET 2013

Milton,

This is really good. Showing the benefits of neutral technical administration is easy -- its the Internet as we know it now. Tabulating the benefits will be simple and its probably already done. (Anyone got a graduate student with time on their hands! :-D)

The rest is about as good a definition of neutral technical administration as any of us could draft. George talks about taking our thinking back to ground zero, I suggest we put this statement there and build upon it.

Ben

On Dec 18, 2013, at 8:10 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> What you need to do is show why society benefits from neutral technical administration. And you need to define better what “neutral” technical administration consists of. In other words, not trying to engineer too much social control into the infrastructure is in fact a societal concern. Freedom, innovation, adaptability and economic growth are better enabled when technical administrative issues are handled in a way that establishes some very general coordinative mechanisms and does not try to dictate behavior. Important social values are advanced by technical approaches to Internet governance  that allow the broadest range of (nondestructive) conduct, and then relies on other regulative methods (e.g., law, policing) to stop or discourage forms of behavior deemed harmful.

Dr. Ben Fuller
+264-61-224470  (O)    +264-88-63-68-05 (F)
ben at fuller.na             http://www.fuller.na
skype: drbenfuller