George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 06:00:06 CET 2013

Milton, and all,

Thanks for this.  I do want to comment on your last point, though.  I am on the Board of ICANN and I did vote, in Singapore in June 2011, against the commencement of the new gTLD program.  But it was not quite for the reason that you say.  In a long and detailed intervention (available in transcript and video form), I said that I was for new gTLDs but that we were not ready to launch; too many processes were not thought through, and there was still a major disagreement regarding the extent of IPR rights and processes to protect them..

There was a second reason regarding the marginal inclusion of a program to assist people in developing countries to get new TLDs that I believed was naive, badly constructed, top down, and contrary to realizing effective development goals for those countries.  We have since worked through these issues, but l interpret that the history since then, on both points, supports my vote.

The major reason that I was for new gTLDs was to allow non-Ascii strings to enter into the root to serve huge populations that use languages written in other scripts.  I believe that these global IDNs will be the major positive result of this first round of new gTLDs.  So I don't think that my vote with regard to this event is relevant in the issue of separation of technical management and public policy.

However, I do admit that there is some crossover in other areas that ICANN is concerned with, such as issues of singular vs. plural names and exclusive use names.

Suppose for the moment that we regard DNS as just an application layer protocol, which it is, and consider the technical administration of the Internet as consisting or protocol parameters and IP addresses, i.e. below the applications layer  You are correct in that Brian's rider is a normative statement, i.e. it gives his opinion of the way things should be, and that statement won't stand in the way of any government that can violate it in a manner that you suggest.

But aren't we in the business here of defining such a normative model for Internet governance, and shouldn't one of the pieces of that model be the separation of a class of technical administrative issues from (for example) "societal concerns?"   I don't see the value, or even the correctness, of dismissing proposed normative statements by saying that the proposers have their head in the sand.

George