Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Dec 18 05:07:36 CET 2013

>A) If we were to revisit and revise the Geneva Declaration (since the roles and responsibilities >section was introduced here, and was only reiterated on the WGIG and in the Tunis Agenda), >which roles and responsibilities are incorrectly or insufficiently described and how could they be >corrected to be brought in line with current factual roles and responsibilities? Do you have >specific language you could contribute?

Peter,
You are assuming that stakeholder groups have different roles. They don’t. In an open, bottom-up policy development process, people participate as individuals and are not pushed into arbitrary pigeonholes. So the problem is not that the “roles and responsibilities are incorrectly or insufficiently described,” it is that the whole business of assigning different groups different roles is wrong-headed. It was just a way for governments to assert their pre-eminence and to attempt to subvert the native Internet regime’s reliance on non-state actors for policy development.

“Think outside the role”