Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 05:07:29 CET 2013

Thanks George and apologies for the late reply,

I wish I had more time to spend and focus on this but I still have a day
job that takes priority since it pays the bills.

I don't know yet what platform would work better but for sure a linear
email list does not scale and provide the structure for a more organized
and productive discussion.

I really like the idea of 1net being a platform for an open discussion
about Internet Governance and Cooperation, so I'd start first by moving as
soon as possible the list out of the NRO.NET domain since it is associated
with one particular group and may create some confusion and identity
problems.

I don't think we have to start from scratch or square zero, and we have to
move past the issue of the Internet Governance definition. While the
compromise working definition out of WSIS may still today generate some
discussion and multiple interpretations I think that it is an acceptable
definition that helps to provide additional meaning and context to what IG
is. But I still believe that "Governance" is a very conflicting word, but
as said before we need to move beyond that and after we have a more
complete and clear picture we can discuss how to better summarize in very
few words what we are talking about around here.

I'd start to identify the different issues or pieces of the puzzle. Here we
already have a lot of work done by several organizations, particularly IGF,
then try to define a group of buckets where we "drop" each issue/piece. For
example issues that are of just technical coordination go in one bucket,
regulatory issues in another, law enforcement another, civil rights,
privacy and security, etc., don't know how many yet and for sure it will be
dynamic and we will have some intersections.

There are some specific issues like creating a charter, mission and role
for 1net, preparations for the Brazil meeting, preparations for the next
IGF and other meetings, so each one can be a separate discussion in its own
"bucket."

This will sound too IETFistic but we can keep this list (again moved to the
1net,org domain) as a general discussion and perhaps announcement list.
Then we can create specific discussions lists for each bucket, or if
necessary for an specific issue, creating working groups of people
interested in discussing and working on them that will subscribe to the
specific list. Leaders and experts of each group will grow naturally. (The
idea of the "bucket" is something similar to "areas" on the IETF)

For sure there will be a limited number of issues you can handle initially,
so each group will have to make a list and reach some agreement about how
to prioritize the list and target a given number of issues at the top of
the list.

Having a separate list will improve the signal to nose ratio since as
activity increases it becomes almost impossible to follow all the
discussions when the only way to have some structure is by trying to
identify the threads.

As said before we'll find a lot of intersections between buckets, so some
work to do would be to define how to handle them and how to create lets say
"interfaces" like for example how you create some interaction and
cooperation between some particular technical coordination matters and
national regulations.

As this effort grows we may find other and better tools, meanwhile we can
steal some of them and ideas from the technical side (IETF for example)
about how to add some structure and order to these important discussions.

By using a linear email list I don't believe we'll have a lot of
productivity and we may be missing (I'm already in catch up mode with so
many messages lately) important contributions.

Divide et impera

Regards
Jorge