Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Wed Dec 18 03:32:57 CET 2013

Do you mean these "respective roles"?

49.  The management of the Internet encompasses both technical and public policy issues and should involve all stakeholders and relevant intergovernmental and international organizations. In this respect it is recognized that:

        a.  Policy authority for Internet-related public policy issues is the sovereign right of States. They have rights and responsibilities for international Internet-related public policy issues;

        b.  The private sector has had and should continue to have an important role in the development of the Internet, both in the technical and economic fields;

        c.  Civil society has also played an important role on Internet matters, especially at community level, and should continue to play such a role;

        d.  Intergovernmental organizations have had and should continue to have a facilitating role in the coordination of Internet-related public policy issues;

        e. International organizations have also had and should continue to have an important role in the development of Internet-related technical standards and relevant policies.

The role for government is very broad -- all of public policy is their "sovereign right"!  You've lost me right there....  Not into the "rights of kings".
Civil Society's role is completely undefined -- "keep doing what you're doing"
Private Sector is limited to technical and "economic"?!?!  fields (I guess they mean we should all make money)
IGOs are the facilitators of the government's public policy  (Techno Cat would say "henchmen")
INGOs can develop technical standards and policies -- engineers only need apply....

Well, at least I see why we need different definitions...

Greg Shatan