[I-coordination] The self correcting nature of the American system? Judge rules against NSA tapping program. Snowden vindicated?

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Tue Dec 17 22:46:52 CET 2013

I think there are a variety of myths/"urban legends" around ICANN, and the "IPC runs ICANN" myth is one of them..  As a member of the IPC, it is probably in my best interests to have you believe that the IP community has some sort of outsize amount of influence in ICANN.  For better or worse, that's not the case.  If I had joined the IPC for the thrill of wielding immense hidden power, I would have been sorely disappointed.  Of course, the IPC has a voice, but it is one among many, and not one with any outsize influence.  I tend to feel more like Sisyphus than Zeus....

Consider the current GNSO Council configuration, where the Registries and Registrars have 6 seats each and the NCSG has 6 seats (5 of which are currently held by NCUC members and 1 by an NPOC member), while the IPC has only 2 seats (along with the Business Constituency and the ISP Constituency, which also have 2 seats each).  Consider that prior to 2009, there were 6 equal constituencies (of which IPC was one) -- when the GNSO Council was restructured the registry, registrar and noncommercial constituencies were each elevated to stakeholder group status, while the IPC, BC and ISPCPC were all put into one stakeholder group.  Whatever one thinks of the wisdom of that change, that does not sound like "running ICANN" to me....

Meanwhile, regarding the GAC -- I think that over the last year or so (since Beijing?), the GAC has been ascendant.  So while "governments" do not "run ICANN," the GAC has had a very strong say in the outcomes of a number of recent issues relating to the new gTLDs, among other things.  Their relative influence cannot be ignored.  Going forward, the relationship between GAC "policy advice" and GNSO "policy recommendations" will be an interesting one indeed.  Let's see how the IGO/INGO policy recommendations from the GNSO fare at the Board, which has already received contradictory GAC policy advice.

(My opinions are my own and not those of the IPC or my employer.)

Best regards,

Greg Shatan

Gregory S. Shatan
Partner