Subi Chaturvedi subichaturvedi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 21:38:49 CET 2013

I believe so. Its a useful document Robert. Have attached it for ready
reference

Its always good to revisit basics.

The WGIG first considered five criteria, namely that the working definition
should be *adequate*, *generalizable*, *descriptive*, *concise *and
*process-oriented*.

But the questions that we're posing is essentially the adequacy of the
definition, to encapsulate the recency and relevance to contemporary issues.

What I would also like to draw attention to

" are significant barriers to multi-stakeholder participation in governance
mechanisms."

   - There is often a lack of transparency, openness and participatory
   processes.
   - Participation in some intergovernmental organizations and other
   international organizations is often limited and expensive, especially for
   developing countries, indigenous peoples, civil society organizations, and
   small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
   - The content produced by some intergovernmental organizations and other
   international organizations is often restricted to members only or is
   available at a prohibitive cost.
   - Frequency and location of venues for global policy meetings causes
   some stakeholders from more remote areas to limit their participation.
   - There is a lack of a global mechanism for participation by
   Governments, especially from developing countries, in addressing
   multisectoral issues related to global Internet policy development."

While we have addressed some it is ironic that even after 8 years we still
remain a work in progress on fundamentals which ought to be a prerequisite
for facilitating IG processes and participation from stakeholders from
emerging economies and developing countries still remains a challenge.

http://www.wgig.org/docs/WGIGREPORT.pdf

warmest

Subi

---
Subi Chaturvedi
Assistant Prof. Journalism,
Lady Shri Ram College for Women (LSR), DU
India

Founder & Hon. Managing Trustee,
Media For Change

Founder, Chief Mentor & Editor