[I-coordination] Principles, was Re: New: How do we dissect Internet governance? [Was: Europe at a tipping point?]

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 19:13:21 CET 2013

Hi,

in http://bestbits.net/wp-uploads/2013/10/ChartConceptNote_MB_CR.pdf Jeonghyun
Baak and Carolina Rossini present a compilation of principles (for Internet
freedom, mostly). They have also made public tables with a detailes,
issue-by-issue compilation of statements from a very broad set of
organizations. Very high quality work.

I have been working with their tables for some timem and can tell you with
almost mathematical certainty that there is no way to make a coherent set
emerge from the mix. Don't let this statement stop you though.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton at ccianet.org>wrote:

> To Bill’s point in the first instance it would be useful to identify those
> principles that exist to date and their source and scope. Perhaps 1net
> could host a wiki environment or the like where those with knowledge of one
> or more could get a list together?
>
> On 17 Dec 2013, at 18:34, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi George
>
> On Dec 17, 2013, at 6:24 PM, George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Bill,
>
> You say: "Do we really have nothing more important to be doing here at
> this point than redefining the wheel as just a round thingy?  I thought
> this list was supposed to be for coordination of multistakeholder dialogue
> on Sao Paulo and beyond, but it seems to alternate between being a troll
> paradise and the site of a lot of meandering debates on points that are
> generally being addressed more systematically elsewhere.  Or am I alone in
> this perception?"
>
> I agree that we need to address points systematically.  Can you provide a
> list of systematic points (dare we call them issues?) that it would, in
> your view, be useful to discuss?
>

> Well, why not start with the question of principles?  The initiators of
> the SP meeting have been saying from the outset they’d like to have a sort
> of multistakeholder declaration of principles.  Presumably it’d be helpful
> if 1net participants were to provide some input on this, and presumably
> we’d like it to be more than just nice fluffy words.  Why not discuss the
> range of options to make this a useful exercise, and see where there’s
> cross-stakeholder consensus and where there’s not?  It’s something concrete
> that needs to be done, and they want input by 1 March.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bill

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty