George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 18:24:32 CET 2013

Jeremy,

I want to comment on your sentence "If the terminology does not fit well with the technical community's self-defined problem-space ..."

I speak as an individual wearing a number of hats.  By pigeon-holing my comments as a part of the technical community's self-defined problem space, you are asserting that I, as well as many members of the technical community, can't think outside a narrow technical box and have no interests in looking at the totality of the effects of the Internet.  This is totally unfair, and potentially the beginning of a slippery slope toward non-productive exchanges, as the history of the IGC list amply shows.

The call for a broad taxonomy is an attempt to get at issues and issue clusters so that they can be addressed individually, and to get away from representation by stakeholder prompted silos.

Milton,

I hope that there is still some room in the world, given all of the expertise that you mention below, for some contribution from thinking and common sense.   My concern is not so much a mater of defining governance (except if it gets in the say and confuses people which it seems to do here), but to get at underlying issues.

Now if you tell me that all issues are related, and we have to solve them all simultaneously, I despair of making progress.  Surely there is some separability between, say, to take two issues at opposite ends of a spectrum, packet routing policy and cybercrime.

I agree with your focus on "respective roles."  But then, lets talk about respective roles not only of a very few aggregate stakeholder groups, but also of sub-groups an maybe even of organizations.  The "stakeholder group" concept, strengthened visibly by WSIS, gets in the way of cross cutting issues, as I've argued before.

Bill,

You say: "Do we really have nothing more important to be doing here at this point than redefining the wheel as just a round thingy?  I thought this list was supposed to be for coordination of multistakeholder dialogue on Sao Paulo and beyond, but it seems to alternate between being a troll paradise and the site of a lot of meandering debates on points that are generally being addressed more systematically elsewhere.  Or am I alone in this perception?"

I agree that we need to address points systematically.  Can you provide a list of systematic points (dare we call them issues?) that it would, in your view, be useful to discuss?

George