[I-coordination] The self correcting nature of the American system? Judge rules against NSA tapping program. Snowden vindicated?

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 14:06:22 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:

> Listers
>
> Apologies for cross posting.
>
> In a landmark ruling a Federal District Court judge ruled on Monday that
> the National Security Agency program that is systematically keeping records
> of all Americans’ (and non Americans) phone calls most likely violates the
> Constitution, and he ordered the government to stop collecting data on two
> plaintiffs’ personal calls and destroy the records of their calling history.
>
> Despite the system being broken, is the American influence on Internet
> Governance the best we have right now? I can't imagine such a ruling in
> China or Russia, let alone India, Brazil or South Africa - the so called
> BRICS countries championing a new dispensation on Internet Governance..

It is only a district court ruling and has not yet been put into effect.
Before it becomes final the Supreme Court would have to decide the matter.
And that is a body with naked partisans making decisions on ideological
grounds without any respect for the law, one of which is openly taking
bribes from parties with business before the court through his wife who is
a million dollar a year 'lobbyist'.

Further, the ruling only applies to US citizens and permanent residents,
the rest of the world is still considered 'fair game'. And the courts still
refuse to hear cases from the men held without trial in the US gulag in
Guantanamo, nor was there any investigation or prosecution of the men
responsible for use of waterboarding, a technique that is obviously torture
by any definition.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/