Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Dec 17 06:51:39 CET 2013

On 17/12/13 08:45, George Sadowsky wrote:
> The WGIG definition of Internet governance, the result of meetings in
> 2004-5, was the result of political compromise.  I think that it is
> not helping us here.  AS Brian says below, the notion of Internet
> governance mixes up too many things, and does not seem to be useful
> for addressing real issues.
>
> Can we come up with a different vocabulary and a somewhat different
> structure that is much more consistent with our problem space, so that
> these different issues don't get confused (and yes, I understand that
> there may well be overlap between them)?
>
> Brian, can you suggest some appropriate vocabulary and/or taxonomy?

The wording of the WGIG definition of Internet governance is almost
identical to a widely cited definition of an international regime that
has a considerable body of theory behind it.  So I would hesitate to
throw it out because it is unfamiliar or threatening to those who are
more familiar with technical aspects of Internet governance.

I also don't think that redefining the terms of the debate now, when
governments and other stakeholders have already become comfortable with
those terms and have been operating under them for years, is going to
bring the stakeholders any closer together, if that is something that
1net is aiming to do.

If the terminology does not fit well with the technical community's
self-defined problem-space, or seems to extend to issues that you think
are not "real issues", then maybe it is that that problem space is too
narrow, rather than that the terminology is inappropriate or that those
broader issues are not real.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.