michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 00:51:48 CET 2013

Well said Ben.

One difference though may be a difference in the sense of urgency impelling
both sides towards some resolution.  In the Internet sphere there is a
strong sense on the "technical" side that "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
and this leads to a strong "status quo" position, mitigated somewhat now
with what has been learned through Snowden about how the Internet may in
fact be "broken" in some significant ways.

On the other, "socioeconomic" side, the recognition of the need for some
sort of intervention to respond to some emerging and other imbalances is
only slowly emerging.