[I-coordination] Fwd: Europe at a tipping point?

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Mon Dec 16 22:01:12 CET 2013

The hard issue is not the articulation of a set of overarching principles for the Internet, it is with the regime for sanctioning behavior that departs from the Principles.

Governance inherently involves sanctions for lack of adherence to Principles.  Much of the fussing about Internet Governance is related to the lack of an obvious means of remedying bad behavior.

(ICANN dodged this bullet by relying on U.S. contract law and essentially creating a "take it or leave it" situation for affected parties.)

Various entities, especially governments, seem to believe that oversight of the Internet can be accomplished within existing national governments and legal systems.  Others feel vehemently that something new is needed.

If it is new, then to be useful, there must be effective sanctions embodied in it.  That's the crux of the problem.

Begin forwarded message: