Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu

> Governments don't have an expert knowledge of most of the systems or areas
> that they regulate in support of the public interest...

As someone who actually has studied regulation, I would suggest that when governments don't have expert knowledge they are inherently incapable of implementing regulations that protect public interest; their rules and decisions will invariably reflect lobbyist interests who feed them the information they need to make decisions.

Generally, I am skeptical of the idea that you can control something without understanding how it works. Surely general principles of law can be applied, but their application to specific matters of fact requires expertise, which is why courts often rely on expert witnesses.

>My guess is that the government of Namibia doesn't have an expert knowledge
>of the Internet. That doesn't/shouldn't prevent them from intervening...

I'll just let that statement stand there naked for a while, shivering.

>Are you seriously suggesting that Namibia (and all the other "Namibia's" in
>the world) should leave it to the "technical community" where Namibia is

Here is what I suggested:
"Neither a single national government, nor a collection of national
governments, can represent the users and suppliers of internet services as
well as they can represent themselves."
Where do you read "leave it to the technical community" in there?

Your proposal, however, is clearly "leave it to government" - to the exclusion of all the others, who you've dismissed: