michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 14:40:38 CET 2013

Milton,

Governments don't have an expert knowledge of most of the systems or areas
that they regulate in support of the public interest... That isn't their
job.  Rather it is to ensure that the public interest is maintained even in
the midst of developments where expert knowledge is being deployed.

My guess is that the government of Namibia doesn't have an expert knowledge
of the Internet. That doesn't/shouldn't prevent them from intervening to
ensure that the interests of the Namibian people are maintained as the
Internet is deployed and used as a fundamental infrastructure for their
interaction with themselves and with the world.

Are you seriously suggesting that Namibia (and all the other "Namibia's" in
the world) should leave it to the "technical community" where Namibia is
scarcely represented if at all; or to the "private sector" where in the
Internet sphere Nambian enterprises have, I would guess little or no
significant role; or to the self-identified Internet Governance associated
civil society where Namibia is equally unrepresented; to ensure that the
best interests of Nambians now and in the future will be ensured.