Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Dec 16 14:07:51 CET 2013

-----Original Message-----

>I have worked with our government (Namibia) on many policy initiatives over the
>years, and in a sense what is quoted below is correct. Stakeholders, interested
>and affected parties, and others are invited to the table for discussions, but at
>the end of the day it is government that makes the policy.

This has never been the case with the Internet. Most of the centralized governance and coordination functions are transnational in scope, not national. National governments were never in a position to be in control of the Internet and thus are in no position to "invite" others to the table for discussions and then make a decision. Indeed, governments have often displayed tremendous ignorance of the actual workings of the system and of the implications of their regulations or policies.

Neither a single national government, nor a collection of national governments, can represent the users and suppliers of internet services as well as they can represent themselves. This is a new era and involves a new form of governance.

Judging from your comment, and from Adam's response in the thread "Agenda for the Brazil meeting" it is evident that we do need to make stakeholder roles a major item of the agenda.