[I-coordination] Relevant Content

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Dec 16 03:10:40 CET 2013

On Dec 16, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the recent few days of my joining this list, there seems to be a great deal of emails from a few members of this list that are irrelevant to the subject of why this list was created in the first place. These messages appear to be in a frequency or numbers which are considered spam or unethical in other groups that I participate. I believe that there is someone that created this list and can act as a facilitator and moderator in terms of curating the list to stay relevant and remove these spammers? I've even seen some messages targeting stakeholders/organizations? Is this why this list was created in the first place?

Fouad -

  My views on this question are attached; basically, I'd call for caution regarding
  curation under nearly any circumstances, and if indeed it proves desirable, that
  such moderation should be a decision of an actual seated 1net steering committee
  and not the interim coordination structure. Also, while it is true that some of
  the messages are quite colorful in their form of expression, I'm not certain that
  they're actually off-topic as much as they are simply unfocused and/or impolite...
  (and following the robustness principle, any statement of acceptable behavior
  for this list should be probably be rather generous in its criteria, rather
  than risking Occam's razor somehow excising otherwise meaningful contributors.)

/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.  Volunt omnibus bonum

Begin forwarded message: