sivasubramanian muthusamy 6.internet at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 21:19:30 CET 2013

Dear Nigel Hickson,

If those who are working on this draft are tuned to this discussion so as
to produce a more rounded and thoughtful paper,  their attention may please
be drawn to the following passage from the blog post

Quote: ... the native Internet communities as nothing more than people to
be invited to conduct consultations that still leave decision making power
in the hands of governments. After praising the state-created and state-led
Brazilian Internet Governance Steering Committee, it says that if such a
model were used in Europe it could provide “non-binding advisory opinions”
End of Quote.

The leaked document said "nonbinding advisory opinions" This bothers me as
a mind-set of 'This far and no further'. I have heard a similar point of
view expressed in India, that can be roughly translated as 'other
stakeholders can be seated around the table, they can talk we will listen,
but we (the Government) make the policy. That is our role'

If Europe is inclined to nurture the  multi stakeholder model, this mind
set needs to be altered. The document needs to move away from
"multinational" to "multi stakeholder", away from limitations expressed by
the use of words such as "nonbinding" and "advisory" towards words such as
"participative" and "inclusive"

Sivasubramanian M