[I-coordination] A different model

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 20:09:04 CET 2013

Comments below ...

> On Dec 13, 2013, at 12:24 PM, Lee Howard <Lee at asgard.org> wrote:
>
> That's different than my understanding of the Internet.
> As I understand the Internet, it is the (largest set of) networks which
> interconnect using the Internet Protocol. Each network is independently
> managed; each network operator makes decisions for that network only. The
> success of a protocol is in whether it is adopted; generally, adoption
> supports interoperability, which is the goal of the interconnected
> networks ("Internet").

There is a slight difference about being "independent" than "autonomous", there are a lot of dependencies and that's where cooperation takes place. Not only you have to adopt the protocols,  but also some best practices about how you use them, which drives interoperability.

> Related: each network operator decides what routes to carry, and how to
> decide what routes they will carry.  I don't see how (or why) the
> government of one country can affect the routing tables of network
> operators in other countries.

Yes and no, in some cases you may have agreements that as an operator makes you carry prefixes that do not belong to you (transit is a clear example) and here is where some fat fingers screwed up and continue to screw up, announcing (some times intentionally) wrong prefixes that get propagated to some portion of the overall network table through operators with lax routing policies and management.

There is currently a lack of good/strong authentication for accepting routing announcements as valid with a trusted origin when they might not be, for whatever reason, once again some times intentionally.

Actually is not very hard to exploit this weakness in the current routing architecture and protocols to force prefix hijacking, hence traffic diversion.

-Jorge