[I-coordination] A different model

Bob Bruen korg at coldrain.net
Fri Dec 13 20:02:18 CET 2013

Hi Lee,

I believe you understand it all correctly. Any nation could decide to do
something evil with their piece of the puzzle that is the Internet. The
reason that mostly they do not, is the same reason that airports, shipping
ports, telephone systems etc are usually left alone. If you do not follow
the agreed upon rules, then you do not get to particiapte with the rest of
the world.

TCP/IP is the agreed upon protocol set that allows communication between
any part that is part of the whole. For what it's worth, there are dark
parts of the Internet which do not care about communicating with the rest
of the world.

My opinion is that much of the activity discussed here is about creating a
set of ideas that various entities can agree upon to make the Internet
more like international air traffic. The technical agreements already
exist, but other parts (social/political), like freedom of access, do
not.

                      --bob