[I-coordination] A different model

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:41:14 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't know that there is a word for this yet. the only precedent is
> the telephone system and governments managed that by nationalizing the
> infrastructures at a very early date and placing them under government
> regulation. So administrative acts became government acts
>
> And every single modem or device had to be certified by the phone company
> (mostly controlled by governments), I remember the torture of trying to
> have a Telebit modem installed/working in Istanbul, not even imagine
> getting X.25 working that was supposed to be a "standard" (well actually it
> was a set of recommendations.)
>
> > That is not a workable model for the Internet since even if the
> government buys out the pipes, users want to go to Facebook and Google.
>
> Well, ITU keeps pushing to manage a chunk of IPv6 address space. I still
> remember the Beckstrom SNAFU during a no so distant IGF... But everything
> went back to normal when at the following ICANN meeting we were all praying
> for the security and stability of the Internet and the cult to the
> multistakeholder model.

Well there is their problem, they ask for permission.

If they just sent a letter to IANA informing them that some block of IPv6
addresses that is comfortably above the current distribution point is going
to be allocated, what is IANA going to do to stop them?

Nobody would want the contested allocations even if the backbone carriers
refused to route them.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/