[I-coordination] Let the balkanization begin ...

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Thu Dec 12 22:20:43 CET 2013

On the contrary. The fact that something is not understood doesn’t mean legislation won’t be entered into that isn’t workable; that happens all the time, both at the national level and internationally too.

There’s a serious problem globally: lack of understanding of the Internet, leading to legislative moves to solve non-Internet problems through ill-thought-through laws that screw up the Internet, but don’t solve the underlying problem. We’re going to see a lot more of this. A sustained, well-constructed outreach campaign is needed to educate policymakers about how the Internet works.

The saving grace here is that the opposition in country disagrees with anything the government says, so hopefully once the election is over, there will be another U-turn.