[I-coordination] A different model

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 22:10:29 CET 2013

> I don't know that there is a word for this yet. the only precedent is the telephone system and governments managed that by nationalizing the infrastructures at a very early date and placing them under government regulation. So administrative acts became government acts

And every single modem or device had to be certified by the phone company (mostly controlled by governments), I remember the torture of trying to have a Telebit modem installed/working in Istanbul, not even imagine getting X.25 working that was supposed to be a "standard" (well actually it was a set of recommendations.)

> That is not a workable model for the Internet since even if the government buys out the pipes, users want to go to Facebook and Google.

Well, ITU keeps pushing to manage a chunk of IPv6 address space. I still remember the Beckstrom SNAFU during a no so distant IGF... But everything went back to normal when at the following ICANN meeting we were all praying for the security and stability of the Internet and the cult to the multistakeholder model.

As somebody more contemporary would say ... It was "remarkable" ...

Amen
Jorge