[I-coordination] A different model

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 21:01:50 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/12/2013 00:57, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> > Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Indeed, it was a stupid choice of word from Day One.
> >
> > Is there a better, more easily translatable, sufficiently broad term?
>
> No, because there was so much basic confusion of thought in the
> WSIS process that people tried to use a single word to cover a broad
> range of topics that don't belong together. In fact it's a category
> mistake to think that a single word could cover it.
>
> Of course, technical choices have societal and economic impact. But that
> doesn't mean that they form a single topic covered by a single word.
>
> There is regulation, for societal and economic reasons. There is
> technical administration, to make the Internet work properly. There
> is no such thing as regulistration, even if you call it "governance".
>
> You can see the category mistake throughout the story about the Indian
> government position.

+1

I don't know that there is a word for this yet. the only precedent is the
telephone system and governments managed that by nationalizing the
infrastructures at a very early date and placing them under government
regulation. So administrative acts became government acts

That is not a workable model for the Internet since even if the government
buys out the pipes, users want to go to Facebook and Google.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/