[I-coordination] suggestions - style and substance of the Brazil meeting

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 19:21:13 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The Brazil meeting should charter working groups to address the
>> challenges Rousseff/Montevideo raise.
>>

> IMHO the Montevideo statement is too broad and centered around the
> pervasive monitoring and surveillance issue, which will be a recipe for a
> bad start.
>
> We should clearly list and describe the "challenges" in specific terms not
> broad statements.

Even in the security area, these are not my primary concerns.

The ability to disrupt Internet traffic by injecting fake BGP or DNS data
is a big problem. It has been used to weaponize the Internet in at least
one war.

Pervasive monitoring can be addressed at two levels, the network layer and
the application layer. Doing anything at the network layer is very hard
because it requires the participation of specific operators. Doing anything
at the application layer faces the limitations of that approach, scope for
preventing traffic or meta data analysis is very limited.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/