[I-coordination] A different model

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 14:24:42 CET 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Bob Bruen <korg at coldrain.net> wrote:

> Hi Phillip,
>
> Well, actually you have provided the example for me. Thank you.
>
> I am as critical of my government as anybody and I have no problem with
> anyone else being critical. If you deny that there is some level of
> criticism that comes from those (where ever they live) who dislike the US
> and/or the US government, then you are simply denying reality.

You are misrepresenting what I said. When someone uses a collective noun
that refers to 300 million people it is generally interpreted as asserting
something is true of most of them rather than an assertion that is it is
true of all of them without exception.

Given that my opinions of the actions of the last administration are widely
held in the country it is obviously not the case that no Americans share
them. Indeed I think virtually every member of the current administration
would agree with me on what should be done if not the political expediency
of doing so.

But when someone who is not a US national raises an issue with a US
government action they will get the McCarthyite 'anti-American' smear and
unless they also undermine their statement by stating that not all
Americans agreed with it they get the 'we are not all responsible'
complaint you and Ken just made.

What I am saying here is that you have to knock it off. My nationality does
not mean I have any less right to criticize your government than you do.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/