[I-coordination] I-coordination Digest, Vol 3, Issue 70

Grigori Saghyan gregor at arminco.com
Thu Dec 12 10:22:36 CET 2013

Dear Nathalie, Jorge, All,

It is  necessary to read * manuals, of course. But you do not find any
exact definition for the term "Internet". You can find a mixture of
TCP/IP, network of networks, interconnected networks, other
explanations -without mentioning the DNS. But in real life there are
few  separate components of the Internet - telecommunications, DNS,
including numbering,  and content.

ICANN is responsible for DNS - you can take a look on any ICANN
meeting agenda - most of topics are DNS related, on Durban conference
80% of topics were linked with the DNS.

Telecommunications, including transport layers  - there are few main
players - IETF, ITU, IEEE, and few smaller players. Here you can find
surveillance  the problems

Content - this part is not technical, it is our life. Here you can
also find few parts - "user generated content"  and telecommunications
inside one computer (Google, Facebook, etc).

Of course, it is possible to find better separation of components, but
in some cases one can ask you  - why you want to give such definition?
If you have a definition, you will be able to regulate. And may be on
this stage it is not necessary to regulate?

Grigori Saghyan
ISOC.AM

*From:* Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com>