[I-coordination] I-coordination Digest, Vol 3, Issue 70

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 18:40:25 CET 2013

Nathalie,

a standard introductory textbook which covers many of the problems at hand
is the book by Jovan Kurbalja which you can get online (free, in several
lanugages) from the Diplo Foundation in http://www.diplomacy.edu/IGBook

The statement "the Internet cannot be governed" is to broad and open to
interpretation. It is clear in one sense, the Internet cannot be governed
in the traditional sense of a top-down, single government.

The issues subject to governance on the Internet are too diverse and
dynamic for that. Even if two issues (say intellectual property and spam,
to suspend the obsessive focus on ICANN for a second) bring together the
same stakeholders, say ISPs, publishers, technologists, lawyers and users,
each of these will need to be represented by different members of their
organizations (you won't necessarily send the same lawyer or the same
engineer to discuss both issues because the required disciplines may be too
different.)

The one thread found so far that is common to all Internet Governance
mechanisms is the need to involve all stakeholders equally. This does not
preclude the rule of law where it exists, nor the creativity to identify
the need for new legislation (at the national level) or instruments (beyond
a single jurisdiction) and getting them processed in legislatures etc.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM, nathalie coupet
<nathaliecoupet at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi Jorge,
>
> Thank you for your response. Could you please point me to commonly
> accepted definitions? I don't think I am the only one looking for workable
> definitions, as one can infer from the previous interventions. This could
> make it clearer for all.
> What is the Internet? A document explaining what it is and what it is not.
> Why it cannot be governed. This is what I meant.
>  I was not suggesting to present a report to the Brazil meeting. I was
> just suggesting to have some form of documentation making the case for a
> free Internet, instead of having to start debates all over every time. By
> summarizing our positions in a document, we could save time.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nathalie
>
>   ------------------------------
>  *From:* Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com>

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty