Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Dec 11 16:32:14 CET 2013

Dear folks,

Jorge is known for his acid remarks (he is probably Boca Juniors, while
I am Flamengo(*) :)) -- Alejandro Pisanty has a serious competitor here
--, but he always means well. I don't agree it is BS but I do agree this
is not a thread to be pursued at this point.

Actually I am very concerned about the risks of the cybersecurity theme
dominating the discussions in São Paulo -- but the organizers (me
included, please kick me as needed) are trying their best for this not
being so (and we (CGI.br hat here) need the help of the "communities" or
"stakeholders" or "interest groups" in this). I think by now you all are
aware that you can communicate with the organizing group directly
through brmeeting at cgi.br

For me *personally* the greatest challenge at this point is in the hands
of the so-called "technical" community. Massive violations of privacy
rights are happening at the lower layers of the Net (fiber cables, main
IXP routers and so on), and the techies are aware (or should be aware)
that effective measures are taken to secure these weaker links of what
we call the Internet (with a capital "I").

All we need is to try to build consensus -- and I cannot imagine a
bigger challenge than building consensus around an international set of
Internet-related principles built with a focus on human rights.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

(*) today I am Ponte Preta, and Jorge is quite probably Lanus :)