[I-coordination] ICANN's role vis-a-vis the Internet ecosystem

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Dec 11 14:27:25 CET 2013

Hi,

While there are many threats to ICANN's multi stakeholder legitimacy, as pointed out by people like Milton who are deeply involved in the process of improving ICANN, I think it goes too far to condemn it as illegitimate.

Some  us still still find good cause for continuing enthusiasm, despite our frequent disappointments.

For example as a member of the Accountability and Transparency Review Team (draft report open for comment - called replies - until 13 Dec http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/atrt2-recommendations-21oct13-en.htm ) I have seen the beginnings of  bottom-up oversight. It still remains to be seen how well it work out in the long run, but at this point I see promise for a method by which a free standing ICANN multistakeholder could be achieved. Of course a lot of work remains to be done in this crucible of pluralistic participatory governance, but it has the best chance of any entity I can find at this point in time.

If some of that can be brought into other efforts via 1net, all the better.
Avri Doria