[I-coordination] A different model

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 20:00:28 CET 2013

> 1) The US does have a privileged position with ICANN. This is the result
> of history. The US invented the Internet and has driven much of its
> development. The US has not really done very much to influence ICANN's
> work, when it could have done more.

If you do some research about the history of the Internet you will find out
that this is certainly not 100% true, so being point #1 does not give too
much credit to the rest.

Internet Governance does not stand for "governing" the Internet, and this
is one of the interpretations that generates all sorts of conflicts,
particularly when the term gets translated to other languages such as
Spanish.

While not universally accepted, and still under discussion how to interpret
it, out of WSIS 2005 there was some agreement on a "working" definition
that says:

"Internet governance is the development and application by Governments, the
private sector and civil society, in their respective roles, of shared
principles, norms, rules, decision-making procedures, and programmes that
shape the evolution and use of the Internet."

You can find this type of information on the WSIS report, multiple
documents generated by IGF, and introductory books and papers about IG from
Diplo.

Regards
Jorge