[I-coordination] ICANN's role via-à-vis the Internet ecosystem and Internet goverance

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 18:56:58 CET 2013

[I make these remarks in my individual capacity]

Bob Bruen is absolutely correct in that the US is not holding back the rest of the world in becoming involved in ICANN.  ICANN values inputs from all over the world.  The US government, while having some power with respect to delegations and redelegations of top level domains, has never interfered with any recommendations made by ICANN, and it would be political suicide for them to do so.

ICANN has the responsibility for administration a small but crucial element of the global Internet ecosystem, viz. the administration of the domain name andIP address space.  These elements are central to navigating the Internet, and are highly visible.

The question of what is Internet governance received one answer from the Working Group on Internet Governance in 2004:

	www.wgig.org/docs/WGIGREPORT.pdf‎

although there was some dissent and an alternative definition was proposed by some.,

Much of what is called Internet governance should be called Internet administration.  A larger definition of Internet governance often includes functions that already exist in the non-Internet world, such as consumer protection, privacy and security of information, licensing of ISPs, acceptable use policies and laws for use of resources, trade agreements, intellectual property protection, etc.  Those issues are mostly at the national level, with some needing to be addressed internationally.  On the ISO/OSI stack they are mostly well above layer 7, and none of them are remotely within ICANN's remit.

ICANN is seeking a role in the improvement of Internet governance issues for mostly the same reason that we all are: to make the Internet a more efficient, effective, safer place for all of us to occupy and exploit.  The US connection has very little if anything to do with this.

The decentralized multi-stakeholder model that characterized the growth of the INternet ecosystem has provided all of us with an enormously powerful tool that has reshaped our lives.  If there is any connection between results and legitimacy, then the current model can claim as much legitimacy as anything else in the world.  There is surely room for improvement, but critics of the current system have an obligation to show conclusively that other options are at least as sound as what exists today.

George Sadowsky