Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Tue Dec 10 18:37:00 CET 2013

Before we end up blaming just govs for everything bad in the world, let
us remind ourselves that the dictatorships or "authoritatian regimes"
are fundamentally sustained by big wigs of the private sector operating
within or outside their borders, with the help (or outright lead) of a
major power.

Now we have the "five-eyes" group of countries which are part of the
most massive, pervasive, permanent violation of private rights ever --
this pervasiness and massive no-barriers operation with state-of-the-art
techs, special legislation and money-is-no-object power involves five of
the so-called advanced democracies (yes, NZ and AU included), spying on
their own citizens at will, and on any other citizen in the world,
violating constitutions, bills of rights, fairness in trial and
prosecution, you name it. And the major objective is not security, is
economic leverage (latest case: Aussies unlawfully peeking into East
Timorese offices to gain leverage in an oil&gas exploration deal).

So, what is the decision? We band together in a Brancaleone bunch to
keep ourselves in a fringe and achieve nothing or try and work together
with those horribly untrustful guys, trying to converge to a reasonable
outcome of ensuring neutrality of the net, privacy, due process or law
and overall basic respect for human rights?

fraternal regards

--c.a.