Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 18:13:49 CET 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 5:27 AM, Peter Dengate Thrush <
barrister at chambers.gen.nz> wrote:

> Hello Carlos,
> One of the delights of the ccTLD world is the diversity of governance
> models, including the varying degrees of government involvement, ranging
> from complete government ownership and control to no government presence at
> all.
>
> What are the advantages ( assuming some) of having govt representatives
> round the table in Brazil?
> Is there a different kind of interaction (qualitatively or quantitatively)
> between the reps. from Federal and the State rep?  Are there issues where
> it would have been better to have had no government reps..,more?
>
> I can imagine other cultures less "robust" than Brazil where the presence
> of even 1 government official would have a chilling effect: is  having
> government presence ever a problem in Brazil?

At what time, now, in the past or at some arbitrary date in the future?

There have certainly been times within my lifetime when the rulers of
Brazil would murder their political enemies. And the US was an active and
willing participant in many of those crimes.

As a non-US citizen I get rather annoyed by the pom-pom waving celebrations
of "US ideals" of freedom and justice given the very recent history of
working for the dictators. I also get rather annoyed by the condescension
that US politicians often display towards the countries whose progress
their country has been disrupting.

No government has clean hands here. At the end of the cold war Margaret
Thatcher claimed to be speaking on behalf of all the Western governments
when she urged Gorbachev to send in the tanks to stop the fall of the
Berlin wall.

The problem is that governments are made up of factions and just as  every
country has a communist faction, every country has a fascist one. And most
often those fascist tendencies bubble up to the surface in the corridors of
power. When JFK asked the chiefs of staff for options on invading Cuba,
they proposed false flag terrorist operations on US soil murdering US
citizens as a pretext for the invasion. The better organized Italian
fascists actually managed to carry out such an attack, the bologna railway
bombing.

The fact that these fascist tendencies exist and are able to exercise power
even in countries like the US is part of the reason that we need the
Internet so that it can foil such plots by bringing them to light.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/