[I-coordination] Surveillance by Governments around the world

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Tue Dec 10 07:50:53 CET 2013

I agree completely this is a point that I've been making in Geneva: the problem cannot be solved on the Internet as it is not problem with the Internet, it is a problem with an analogue world conception of surveillance. Everyone online is fair game for every country but their own (and sometimes not even that) and digital technology has removed the analogue limits on surveillance that used to limit what countries could practically do, even though there were no legal limits to what they could do to non-nationals.

Technology cannot solve this problem, but if countries try they'll just screw up the Internet. We, as a community, need to 'unpack' the Internet from surveillance policy - if we want to keep the Internet that we have. The principles the 8 companies came out with are a good start from Industry, and there are other principles (necessaryandproportionate.org) from other communities.