sivasubramanian muthusamy 6.internet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 04:06:21 CET 2013

On Dec 5, 2013 8:13 PM, "Avri Doria" <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Out of curiosity who is making these decisions on behalf of civil
society? Was NCSG, one of the biggest longest involved CS groups in the
actual work of Internet governance, part of that decision?

> >From a practical point, what its the advantage of going one way over the
other. From my point of view cooperating with others who work on Internet
governance might have advantages that the more direct path might not.

> I want to make sure that a few vocal members of one wobbly organization
and one non-organization, are not capturing the voice of civil society.

+1.

We need to pay attention to what Avri says here.

Sivasubramanian M

> Avri Doria
>

> Anja Kovacs <anja at internetdemocracy.in> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Klaus, Adiel and all,
>>
>> While the civil society organisations and networks that have written to
the Brazilian government do not believe that representation on the
committees for that meeting needs to go through 1net, we would still like
to engage with 1net on the substance of the meeting. Surely one doesn't
need to be linked to the other? Or did I miss something and are only those
that believe 1net should also channel all stakeholder representation in the
Brazil meeting welcome on the steering committee, and in 1net in general?

>> I quite liked Adiel's description of 1net as "a tool that allows us to
rally around critical elements, principles and maybe proposals toward the
evolution of a Multistakeholder approach to Internet
governance/cooperation", and think that is a realistic agenda to start off
with. Why not first explore how much common ground we actually have and
what is feasible to do together? More formalised actions, including those
related to representation, are then likely to emerge out of such an
exploration quite naturally in the future.

>> Best,
>> Anja
>>

>> On 5 December 2013 19:23, Joana Varon <joana at varonferraz.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Adiel,
>>>
>>> Just a clarification:
>>>
>>> The Brazilian announcement didn't include the amount of representative
in each committee:
>>> http://www.nic.br/imprensa/releases/2013/rl-2013-62.htm
>>>
>>> Aren't we suppose to wait for this information? And of course, keep up
with the process for nominating 1net coordination group.

>>> all the best,
>>>
>>> joana

society; while you are saying civil wants to standalone for Brazil, i am
receiving a call for civil society nomination to 1Net from a well known
organisation known to be involved in strengthening multi-stakeholder
participation in IG issues, especially getting civil society representation.

to the larger civil society nomination process, which is meant to be as
broad and inclusive as we can make it.  So far includes representatives of
the main civil society networks that we know about, viz. Internet
Governance Caucus, Best Bits, Diplo, NCSG and APC.  Doubtless we are
missing some other civil society networks, and even more certainly some
individual NGOs who are not members of the above networks.  But it would be
useful to know you're talking about here so we can bring them in.

Malaysia

hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.