Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 20:42:00 CET 2013

On 10/12/2013 05:41, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Carlos and Jeremy,
> If one is familiar with the history of WSIS, and with the initial reaction of states in WSIS to the demands for participation by non-state actors, and with the battle over 'enhanced cooperation', it is flat wrong to dismiss the EC draft's repeated emphasis on different (and subordinate) stakeholder roles as "ethereal." It is what the whole IG debate Is fundamentally about right now. For the EC to come down firmly on the side of subordinating non-state actors to state actors in all policy making processes would be a highly significant development - one that many of us would think of as a setback to Internet freedom and autonomy as well.

It would also be *exactly* what I would expect from EU functionaries,
who are (for understandable existential reasons) statist and centralist
in their approach to pretty much everything. While not being of the
typical British anti-EU stance, I do see this as a problem that
permeates Brussels thinking and that needs constant pushback from
the EU member states. Note, pushback from civil society is usually
ineffective in Brussels - it needs to come from the usual suspects
(UK, NL, libertarian MEPs, etc.). Let's hope that is happening.

   Brian