Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 18:45:24 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Nigel Hickson <nigel.hickson at icann.org>wrote:

> Milton
>
> As ever you have hit the right note; as civil servants we sometimes
> welcomed "leaks" (shock, horror) as the feedback enabled us to produce a
> more rounded and thoughtful product. But conversely the rhetoric can be
> unhelpful if folks take a leak as formal policyŠ.
>
> Best

And there is always the game of managing expectations by leaking something
that suggests cutting public pensions by 80% so that the final proposal of
5% looks like a major concession.

It would not surprise me if we someday discovered that the recent 'leak' of
the US negotiating position in the Pacific Partnership Treaty turns out to
have been the US intentionally sabotaging its own position. They can now
tell their corporate backers that they did their best but were unable to
get what they wanted for them.

Until we have the actual document rather than excerpts, I would not want to
come to any conclusions at all. I am exceptionally reluctant to accept any
paper that is based on concealed evidence. The partial leak is very much
like using excerpts from a preprint of a scientific paper to 'prove' that
something must be done.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/