Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Dec 9 17:41:53 CET 2013

Carlos and Jeremy,
If one is familiar with the history of WSIS, and with the initial reaction of states in WSIS to the demands for participation by non-state actors, and with the battle over 'enhanced cooperation', it is flat wrong to dismiss the EC draft's repeated emphasis on different (and subordinate) stakeholder roles as "ethereal." It is what the whole IG debate Is fundamentally about right now. For the EC to come down firmly on the side of subordinating non-state actors to state actors in all policy making processes would be a highly significant development - one that many of us would think of as a setback to Internet freedom and autonomy as well.

As for waiting for the full document, well, welcome to the Heisenberg principle. Because of our intervention, and because of the internal opposition to these reactionary trends in the EC, it is unlikely that the "final document" you see will be the same as the draft that was leaked.

Carlos:
No need to quibble about this, really, but an organization created by a national law, the majority of whose members are government ministries, and without any representation from foreigners might reasonably be called 'state-led.'