Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sat Dec 7 13:27:03 CET 2013

On 7 Dec 2013, at 2:07 pm, Filiz Yilmaz <koalafil at gmail.com> wrote:
> In regards to IGFs, while they are great in terms of having had created this dialogue among wider stakeholders, I see two issues: One is that we often hear that they are there for "dialogue", not for deciding on possible solutions or actual actionable work towards them. So the focus stays in raising awareness, understanding and building bridges towards each other among stakeholders. …
>
> Second there is no real "ongoing"/"continuing" wider participation platform within IGF mechanisms for general public.

That is, of course, a choice. The IGF's mandate does not preclude it from proposing solutions; on the contrary. It has only been precluded from doing that by certain intransigent elements. There has always been strong support from within civil society for the IGF to do more.

So I would be very happy if 1net would serve to turn around the defeatist idea that we can't use the IGF to make tangible recommendations, by advocating for specific reforms to that end. Less happy if, instead, 1net was put forward as a less inclusive, less legitimate alternative to an empowered IGF.

-
Jeremy Malcolm PhD LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, consumer advocate, geek
host -t NAPTR 5.9.8.5.2.8.2.2.1.0.6.e164.org|awk -F! '{print $3}'
WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.