Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 01:46:40 CET 2013

JC: Many of us are very strong supporters of IGF and don't see that
changing - can you explain why you view this as an "either/or"
proposition?

FB: I believe my concern is that how does this effort add value
amongst all the other efforts, freedom forums, GNI, trade
associations, lobby groups, already existing NIC meets, ICANN meets,
IGF meets, regional IGFs? Did all rest fail or did the I*
organizations feel that their representation amidst existing IG or IPP
related settings and arrangement was somehow very weak and placing
them as a stakeholder group amongst CS as technical community or
academia was not sufficient? If so, they are also there as PS?

NA: Do we really need more suspicions of one another - when it is easy
to just ask a question?
FB: There are no suspicions, I am trying to understand why the members
that I know from all other stakeholder groups have felt weak in their
existing IG/IPP settings and arrangements and feel this is the best
most rational approach ever at this particular moment in time. There
is duplication of effort. There are hopes and aspirations emerging
beyond existing stakeholder groups. What are the weaknesses and what
strength will this group bring.

I would like to hear from the people, that are not the usual IG and
ICANN goers, not members of the MAGs and ICANN ACs/OCs and flipping
their many hats around.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 5:34 AM, Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton at ccianet.org> wrote:
> +1. Do we really need more suspicions of one another - when it is easy to
> just ask a question?
>

> John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 7, 2013, at 3:47 AM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  I wonder how and when did Fadi receive a mandate to move out beyond
>>>  ICANN and step into the political economy space of Internet Governance
>>>  and multilateral activities which led to interventions with a
>>>  government that was actually also a signatory of the WCIT outcome
>>>  document? Does this also assert that ICANN is trying to move beyond
>>>  its mandate into an ITU attempted take over of the Internet Governance
>>>  space that was attempted at the WCIT?
>>

>> If you wish to know about ICANN's "mandate" or plans in this area,
>> have you considered asking Fadi?
>>
>>>  If 1Net is a completely
>>> different and separate space from the
>>>  Montevideo assertion then I would like to learn how did this gap
>>>  evolve in the first place where the need for such a coalition was
>>>  felt?
>>

>> 1net is not a completely different and separate space from the
>> Montevideo Statement.  1net trying to further those goals, and
>> its formation was discussed in Montevideo and further discussed
>> at several sessions at the Bali IGF. The Brazil meeting was not
>> discussed at the Montevideo meeting, nor was it part of the
>> statement released afterward.
>>
>>>  My interest comes from the fact that about 90% of the people
>>>  involved in this group's mailing list in the first month of its
>>>  creation are all either IGF MAG members or ICANN community
>>>  members....and if they have felt that the IGF or ICANN settings and
>>>
>>> meetings are insufficient to address their prevailing concerns, why
>>>  haven't they resigned and left the IGF MAG or ICANN AC/OC's and taken
>>>  on this quote n quote "movement"?
>>

>> As I see it, 1net does not need to displace or preempt any existing
>> activities in the Internet governance space, and in fact, could be
>> a useful supplement to existing IGF activities.  Many of us are very
>> strong supporters of IGF and don't see that changing - can you explain
>> why you view this as an "either/or" proposition?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> /John

Regards.