[I-coordination] First post to this list & Introductions...

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Fri Dec 6 01:18:06 CET 2013

Apologies for not engaging on this list earlier. Have only just returned after pretty well two months on the road (IGF, ICANN48 & US Thanksgiving...)

A little hard to catch-up on the emails, as there have been so many over the last several weeks. But, with a bit of patience I should work my way through the archives by this weekend.

Let me start on an easy note.. a two quick comment and an introduction...

Quick comment...

1. Good to see that after many years there is momentum to discuss an updated framework for internet governance. Much work is needed and the path forward will take time, energy and much effort from all stakeholders.

I see the Brazil meeting/conference/meetup (call it what you want) as the first of hopefully many similar meetings that aim to develop an framework and strategy for all stakeholders to enshrine key principles of engagement, transparency and rights for the next several billion users. The path forward will not be easy given the militarization of cyberspace.

2. The volume of messages and pace of the conversation is quite extraordinary as is. There already exists a steep learning curve for those wanting to engage. The lack of aggregation of all the news and developments and lack of  analysis  make it a challenge even for long time experts to follow the conversation.

There is , IMHO, a a rush to select representatives to body that is not defined not defined for a meeting whose scope and focus is yet to be properly defined. Processes that unfold way too quickly and without oversight , transparency and legitimacy really worry me.

Perhaps there are details which i've missed because I'm only just starting to go through the multiplicity of lists, duplicate messages and archives need to stay current... I look forward to catch-up and of course read through comments others my have on this and other messages i'll be posting...

An introduction...

For those of you who don't know me already, a bit of background...

I'm a special adviser to The Citizen Lab and Canada Centre for Global Security Studies at the Munk School of Global Affairs at the University of Toronto. My focus area is  internet governance, cyber security, and the intersection of internet policy and human rights.

Among other affiliations, I'm a member of ICANN’s Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC), ICANN's 2014 Nominations Committee, and a member of the US IGF Steering Committee. I've been participating in privacy, information society and Internet Governance issues since 1997. I also participated at all the Internet Governance Forums, and was a member of the official Canadian delegation at two UN World Summits on the Information Society (WSIS).

Further details on and about me and the Citizen Lab can be found here:

https://citizenlab.org/about/
http://individual.utoronto.ca/rguerra/

regards

Robert

----
Robert Guerra
Senior Advisor, Citizen Lab and Canada Centre for Global Security Studies
Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto
Phone: +1 416-893-0377      Cell: +1 202 905 2081
Twitter: twitter.com/netfreedom
Email: robert at citizenlab.org
Web: http://citizenlab.org