Joana Varon joana at varonferraz.com
Thu Dec 5 21:36:07 CET 2013

Dear Adiel, John and all,

How can we set a date to indicate nominees for a number of seats that
haven't been established yet by the Brazilian Government? By the press
release, the only announcement was that we will have four meeting
committees, no number of seat per stakeholder group was established. (
http://www.nic.br/imprensa/releases/2013/rl-2013-62.htm)

I know you are in a hurry with the best of the intentions, but let's take
one step at the time and try to focus first on establishing the
coordination group for 1net in the most inclusive manner possible.

Once it's set, maybe, it will help us to consider to the other steps with
less turbulence.

all the best

joana

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>  On Dec 6, 2013, at 1:10 AM, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:
>
>  Dear Adiel,
>
>  *Who *in 1Net made the decision that 1Net would appoint representatives
> to the Brazil meeting organizing committees?
>

>  Robin -
>
>    I will note that the idea of catalyzing 1net as a multi-stakeholder
> initiative for strengthening
>    Internet cooperation was discussed during the I* leaders meeting in
> Montevideo.  It was
>    _following_ that meeting (and the issuance of the "Montevideo
> Statement" re same) that
>    Fadi Chehadé travelled to Brazil to meet with CGI and ICANN community
> leaders, and
>    an opportunity arose for him to meet President Rousseff.   Fadi said
> that Pres. Rousseff
>    was looking for a way to make progress in Internet cooperation as well
> and volunteered
>    to host a one-off, global multistakeholder conference in 2014. [1]
>  This is what became
>    "the Brazil meeting", including 1net (as well as CGI) helping in
> organizing various aspects...
>    i.e.,  from my admittedly second-hand understanding, it appears that
> Brazil, as the convener
>    of the meeting, made the decisions regarding organizing structures and
> modalities.  As Adiel
>    indicated earlier on this list, folks have the choice to engage
> directly with the Brazilians if
>    they so desire, "1net" is not and should not become a tool to dictate
> to anyone what to do.
>
>  FYI,
> /John
>
>  Disclaimers:  My views alone (except where echoing Adiel above :-)
>
>  [1] http://blog.icann.org/2013/11/internet-governance-update/

Joana Varon Ferraz
@joana_varon
PGP 0x016B8E73