John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Dec 5 21:18:11 CET 2013

On Dec 6, 2013, at 1:10 AM, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org<mailto:robin at ipjustice.org>> wrote:

Dear Adiel,

Who in 1Net made the decision that 1Net would appoint representatives to the Brazil meeting organizing committees?

Robin -

   I will note that the idea of catalyzing 1net as a multi-stakeholder initiative for strengthening
   Internet cooperation was discussed during the I* leaders meeting in Montevideo.  It was
   _following_ that meeting (and the issuance of the "Montevideo Statement" re same) that
   Fadi Chehadé travelled to Brazil to meet with CGI and ICANN community leaders, and
   an opportunity arose for him to meet President Rousseff.   Fadi said that Pres. Rousseff
   was looking for a way to make progress in Internet cooperation as well and volunteered
   to host a one-off, global multistakeholder conference in 2014. [1]  This is what became
   "the Brazil meeting", including 1net (as well as CGI) helping in organizing various aspects...
   i.e.,  from my admittedly second-hand understanding, it appears that Brazil, as the convener
   of the meeting, made the decisions regarding organizing structures and modalities.  As Adiel
   indicated earlier on this list, folks have the choice to engage directly with the Brazilians if
   they so desire, "1net" is not and should not become a tool to dictate to anyone what to do.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone (except where echoing Adiel above :-)

[1] http://blog.icann.org/2013/11/internet-governance-update/