Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Dec 5 16:46:59 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 04:22:22PM +0100, Klaus Stoll wrote:
> question is: Should we move together or not. In this case I think we
> all need to stand together and suffer the pains to get ourselves
> organized and to include those who are usually not included.

It seems to me that this sets the entire enterprise up for failure: we
have to come up with something perfect to which everyone can
subscribe, or else we end up diffusing all our efforts fighting
amongst ourselves.

I think we would do well to remember the fundamental architecture of
the Internet, and use that as a model.  The Internet's essence is
voluntary interconnection among networks.  This is not an accidental
property: the Internet is a network of networks.  So each network has
its own local policies, and will interconnect according to that local
policy.  The reason we so easily forget about that fact is simple: for
the most part, networks tend to converge on similar internetworking
policies because that turns out to work well.  This is such a common
experience that people have convinced themselves that "the Internet"
is the name of a singular thing and not a class.

Similarly, the idea that we all must share exactly one set of
positions and that we all must participate through a single mechanism
undervalues the strength that comes from our diverse ways of
expressing the same basic principles.  In my view, it is _better_ if
some people want to express their views outside of any umbrella
organization.  I think we are stronger when we clearly have common
interests and yet do not pretend that we have no differences.  That
lack of pretense re-inforces the importance of the core principles.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com